Hi, just letting you know that all products recommended here have been used by me, or are properly researched to ensure they are the best you are getting without bias.
I am also an affiliate for certain Amazon products and this means that some links here are affiliate links. If you purchase an item through any of them, I MAY earn a commission at no extra cost on you.
Who doesn’t want that clear, glowing, healthy and acne-free face? Definitely not me, and also not you since you are going through this post too. Lol. A clear, glowing and healthy face must not come expensive. Your skin can actually look great even without costing you a lot or making you use tons of products. In this post, I’ll share 11 easy and effective facial DIY routines you can do to achieve that clear and glowing face.
Why Are Facial DIY Routines Better?
Many people who switch to do-it-yourself (DIY) routines never had any reason to look back. Apart from the fact that it’s less expensive, it is safer for your skin and you are sure that your skin is getting the best treatment. Here are the 5 most important reasons why facial DIY routines are the best option you should stick to:
- They are super cheap and won’t cost you even a quarter of what you spend on creams and all that.
- They are 100% safe as you are mostly using natural ingredients.
- You are sure of what to put on your skin so you know what exactly your skin is reacting to and what your skin is lacking. Then you can adjust appropriately.
- You’re in control of everything you put on your skin; both in quantity and quality. This way you are sure your skin is getting the best treatment in the safest possible way.
- You can use ingredients that target spot treatments like for eye circles, pimples, spots etc, and get effective results. Unlike creams that promise to take care of everything but only end up making it worse for you.
11 Facial DIY Routines For That Clear Face
It is necessary for you to know that you can achieve a healthy and glowing face with just fruits, vegetables and other things you can find in your house. Here are 11 of the best facial DIY routines you should start trying:
1. For Pimples:
Pimples are gradually becoming a regular thing for many people today. In fact, you could see someone with the perfect face but there’s one pimple rocking front seat on their face. It can be frustrating and so a lot of people are looking for solutions to their pimples. The most common one is turmeric. When it comes to homemade acne remedies, turmeric powder is the most well-known ingredient. It is famous for its ability to nourish the skin and eliminate facial scars.
- Just get a bowl, pour dry turmeric into it and add rose water or lemon juice or honey to form a paste.
- Apply this mixture on your face every two nights.
- Allow it to stay for 15 minutes before washing it with warm water.
2. For Dark Circles Under-eye:
After pimples, dark under-eye circles are the next face problem that many people suffer. This one is very common because, in one way or another, we are involved in what causes it to appear. The two most common ingredients to get rid of this include the use of green tea and olive oil.
Green tea: This has anti-inflammatory properties that can help in reducing your skin’s irritation, redness, and swelling.
Olive oil: This can be used as a natural moisturizer as it contains essential fatty acids that would leave your skin feeling smooth and fresh.
- For your dark eye circles, simply pour boiling water on the green tea.
- Remove it after the nutrients have been absorbed properly and then mix the water with olive oil.
- Get cotton pads and dip them into the liquid till it gets soaked up.
- Refrigerate it for a few minutes and place it under your eyes for 5 minutes before washing your face.
If you are interested in seeing a full post on how you can manage the dark circles under your eyes using homemade treatments, here’s a post on 6 Simple Homemade Eye Creams To Get Rid Of Black Under-eye Circles
3. For Dark Face:
If you have ever noticed that your face is darker than the rest of your body and wondered why, two things are involved. Bacteria and the sun. Some people say it can also be hereditary, but I have not really done much research on that so I can’t be sure about that now. If you have a darker face, you need avocado and olive oil to handle it.
Avocado: This is one of those fruits that contain a high amount of antioxidants and sun-protective properties that can protect you from UVA rays. This works as a natural form of sunscreen and also as an after-sun product.
Olive oil: This can be used as a natural moisturizer as it contains essential fatty acids.
- For your dark face, mash your avocado and add olive oil to it.
- Massage this all over your face and leave it for a few minutes.
- Wash it off and then dry your face before moisturizing your face with a good moisturizer.
4. For Acne:
Acne is more serious than pimples and so much attention is needed to get rid of them. There are many natural homemade remedies that you can try to give you an acne-free face. I can’t tell you that there’s a ‘one-remedy-fits-all’, because each person’s skin type would determine the perfect treatment that would work for them. However, there are two that are very effective and works for many. It’s the aloe vera gel treatment and honey + cinnamon.
Aloe vera gel: This contains antioxidants and enzymes that help treat burns, acne and dry skin. Simply apply aloe vera gel to your face and massage it well every night. You can leave it on for a few minutes before washing your face. You’ll definitely record good results in no time.
Ground cinnamon: The anti-fungal, antioxidant and antibacterial properties of cinnamon makes it useful against acne and other skin blemishes.
Honey: This helps your skin absorb and retain moisture and prevents it from drying out. It is packed with natural antioxidants and anti-microbial properties which help protect, repair and prevent the skin’s damage.
- To manage your acne, make a paste of honey and cinnamon and apply on your face. Leave for a few minutes before washing off.
If you are battling with acne and would want to try natural remedies to get rid of them, here’s a post with 17 Natural Homemade Remedies To Get Acne-Free Face.
5. For Dry Skin:
Is your skin dry or are you experiencing flaky, scaly skin in this cold season? You may want to get in as much moisture as you can into your skin. For starters, you can go with homemade mayonnaise. Or if you have none, eggs and soybean oil is just fine. This is an effective treatment for dry skin.
- Get your homemade mayonnaise or you blend your egg and soybean oil properly and apply on your face for a few minutes before washing it off afterwards.
- Do this thrice a week for best results.
6. For Sunburn:
You love the outdoors, the beach or you just have a lot of things that take you out in the sun for long. You may have experienced sunburn mildly or severely on your face. If that’s your case, grab yoghurt and turmeric to clear it out in no time.
Yoghurt: This has lactic acid which works well as an exfoliator.
Turmeric: It can work wonders on a condition-riddled skin.
- The best way to fade sunburn on your face is by making a paste of turmeric and yoghurt and applying on your face every night till you see results.
7. For Black Spots:
Some of us don’t know how, but we end up seeing black spots or dots appearing on our faces and necks. This can result from product use or even lifestyle. Whichever one it is, you can get them off with coffee and eggs.
Coffee: This has antimicrobial properties when used on the skin. This means that it can help protect the skin against germs.
Egg: Eggs can be used in improving the skin’s texture. The yolks are rich in fatty acid which lends moisture to the skin, the egg whites, on the other hand, contain albumin which is a simple form of protein that helps tighten pores and also remove excessive oil.
- A mixture of coffee and eggs applied on the face once or twice a week at night can help exfoliate and clear the skin of these black spots.
8. For Eczema:
If for some reason your face starts having a breakout of eczema, you may need to use natural treatments to clear them off. Just get coconut oil, turmeric, aloe vera, olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
All these things mixed together would serve as a natural remedy for clearing your eczema. The natural ingredients have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which can help relieve skin dryness and itching and also help prevent infections.
- Just mix everything and apply on the affected areas lightly. Leave for a while and then moisturize your skin after that.
9. Your Own Face Peel-off Mask:
Some facial conditions require that you use a face mask especially those ones you peel These ones are more effective because, during the process of peeling it off your blackheads, pimples and the likes would come off with it. You can also use it to treat skin issues like blackheads, acne, fine lines, wrinkles and hyperpigmentation. To make a safe peel-off mask for yourself, you’ll need turmeric, honey, milk and gelatin.
- Simply pour your Gelatin in a bowl, pour warm water and mix it well.
- Add your Turmeric, Honey and Milk to the Gelatin and mix all together.
- When it’s properly mixed, apply on your face.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes till it’s dried and can peel off easily.
- Use this only twice a month and not too often to prevent making your skin too sensitive from constant peeling off of the top layer.
10. Your Own Facial Cleanser:
If you don’t like the regular facial cleanser you get in cosmetics stores and want to complete your all-natural facial routine, you may want to make your own facial cleanser. All you need is aloe vera gel and lemon. While aloe vera has deep cleansing properties, lemon is known to be an antimicrobial agent that can clean deep-seated dirt and leave your pores free and unclogged.
- Mixing lemon and aloe vera gel can be great as a facial cleanser. Try not to use it in the morning if you’ll be going under the sun within the day.
11. Your Own Facial Toner:
If you want to switch your toner to something natural, you may want to try tomato and honey. A mixture of tomato and honey can be used as a facial toner and you are sure that it would remove environmental toxins such and other chemical residues from your face. It will also help your face look brighter and healthier. Regularly using it can give you less acne, less severe acne scarring and fewer wrinkles.
Tomatoes: These are great for healing face injuries, soothing inflammation, stimulating collagen production, removing dead skin cells and fighting cellular damage. Let’s not forget it has anti-ageing properties.
Honey: Honey helps your skin absorb and retain moisture and prevents it from drying out. It is packed with natural antioxidants and anti-microbial properties which help protect, repair and prevent the skin’s damage.
- Just mix 1/2 cup of fresh juice and 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Pour this in a spray bottle after mixing properly.
- Spray a little on a ball of cotton wool and dab the liquid around your face.
- You can use it as a regular toner once or twice a day.
For you to record the best results in any of the above facial DIY routines, you need to stick to one and be consistent.
3 Best Natural Products To Aid Your Routine
If you are looking for something extra to make your facial care routine a complete package, here are three more natural products to consider:
1. Clay Facial Mask:
Clay helps to absorb excess oils and control shine on your face. If you have oily or acne-prone skin, this is your best addition. Other skin types can use it to draw out the impurities on the surface of the face. If you are looking for the best recommendation, here’s one from L’Oreal Paris Skincare. This pure clay face mask with charcoal can help your dull or oily face by detoxing and brightening it. It will leave your face looking brighter, smoother and with a healthy glow. It contains charcoal which acts like a magnet to clean pores, draw out deep impurities and leave your skin clean. This clay facial mask can be used three times a week to rebalance and address your dull, tired skin and reveal a purified, even, and radiant complexion.
2. Tea Tree Oil:
Due to its anti-microbial properties, tea tree oil has become one of the most popular natural acne treatments. It has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that can calm redness, swelling, and inflammation. It helps to prevent and reduce acne scars while leaving you with a smooth, clear face. The best one out there I can recommend is this Handcraft Tea Tree Essential Oil which is 100% pure and natural. It is a handcrafted blend and has all the nutrients intact so you shouldn’t fear that you would get something that has been processed too much and has some chemicals in it.
3. Eye Mask:
Eye masks help to reduce unwanted puffiness, wrinkles and dark circles under our eyes. If you are tired of dark circles and puffy, wrinkled eyes and want to see your under-eye skin smooth and shining, an eye mask should be a part of your routine. My favourite eye mask is the BrightJungle Under-eye Collagen Patch which is a 24K gold anti-ageing mask pads for puffy eyes, bags, dark circles and wrinkles. It moisturizes deeply while improving elasticity and speeding eye recovery mask. It also provides instant and long-lasting hydration to the skin around the eyes and helping your skin maintain a youthful appearance.
Just remove the patch and place on the skin under your eyes after you have cleaned your eyes with water. Leave it for 15-20 minutes before removing and gently massaging the skin around the eyes for a while. This powerful anti-ageing skin treatment will help keep the area firm and healthy.
While these routines may not work for everyone, it works for the majority of people. However, if you start using it and notice any skin irritation, just discontinue. Also, do not forget that before using any of them, you should pat your face with a warm towel to relax your pores. This will help loosen the dirt in your face and preserve your skin’s natural hydrating oils.
So, do you have experience with any of the above treatments? Let’s hear your thoughts below.