Hi, just letting you know that all products recommended here have been used by me, or are properly researched to ensure they are the best you are getting without bias.
I am also an affiliate for certain Amazon products and this means that some links here are affiliate links. If you purchase an item through any of them, I MAY earn a commission at no extra cost on you.
You will agree with me that using common items in your kitchen, from grocery stores or markets, as your daily facial/skincare routine will not only eliminate exposure to potentially harmful chemicals found in some skincare products but also provide an affordable solution to clean and clear skin for you. But what about something ‘uncommon’? Like sugarcane for skincare? Well, let’s see. In this post, I’m going to show you certain things you may not have known about the benefits of sugarcane on the skin and helpful hacks you can get from using sugarcane in your skincare routine.
A Little About Sugarcane You Should Know
Today, sugarcane is the world’s largest crop by production quantity. It was originally domesticated around 8000 BC in New Guinea. From there knowledge about this plant slowly moved toward the east across Southeast Asia until it reached India, where the first organized production of sugar began. Sugarcane is cultivated for its many parts. The leaves, sweet sap or juice, stalks and every part of the sugar cane is used for one thing or the other. Things like an additive to foods, energy booster, sugar production, health and even skincare are all some of what the plant is used for. For this post, I will be focusing on skincare/beauty benefits and uses.
Benefits Of Sugarcane For Skin
Sugarcane is one of those uncommon items that can come in very handy when it comes to getting a smooth and healthy facial skin. Sugarcane is very beneficial to the skin but unfortunately, it has been overlooked by many, maybe out of ignorance of the benefits. The skincare and beauty benefits of sugarcane are too amazing to ignore but a lot of people do not know much about it. Here are some of the wonderful benefits of sugarcane that should make you consider including it in your routine:
- Sugarcane is one of the best naturally sourced glycolic acid, a neutralized Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) that is extremely beneficial for healthy skin, the tiny molecules make them more permeable to the skin which is why it is the best treatment for acne, oily skin, blemish and spots.
- Sugar cane extract can be used as an antiseptic and natural exfoliant that can smoothen and brighten the skin’s appearance.
- The antioxidants present in the sugarcane juice helps to avoid premature ageing as well as the damages caused by free radicals.
- It contains phenolic acid and flavonoids, phytonutrients which help protect skin from oxidative stress caused by UV rays.
- It reduces the potential effects of photoaging and promotes even skin tone by reducing the appearance of sunspots.
- Sugarcane juice is known for its cell rejuvenation properties when applied topically.
If the above are not enough reasons for you to try it out, wait let me show you some hacks you can do with the sugarcane which will blow your mind.
Sugarcane Facial Skincare Hacks You Never Thought Of
If you have been seeing sugarcane along the road or in stores/markets and you have never given it a second look, well grab your purse because at the end of this topic you’ll be running down the streets in search of one.
There are various safe ways you can use sugarcane in your skincare routine for a natural and glowing skin without breaking the bank. Here are some of them:
1. For Acne Treatment:
Sugarcane can be used for acne treatment and it happens to be one of the safest and most effective treatments for acne aside tea tree oil. To get rid of your acne with sugarcane, simply:
- Mix sugarcane juice and fullers earth to form a paste.
- Then apply on your face and neck generously.
- Allow it to sit for 20 to 30 minutes and wash off with warm water.
- Repeat this every week and you are ready to kiss your acne goodbye in no time.
2. As An Exfoliator:
Sugarcane, which is more of natural sugar and accounts for 79% of sugar produced, is known for its exfoliating properties which greatly help to prevent breakouts and to remove dead cells, dirt and oil that can clog the pores. It can do this very effectively and leave your skin soft, healthy, smooth and glowing. To achieve this, just:
- Mix 2 tablespoon of ground coffee with 1 tablespoon of sugarcane juice and make a face scrub.
- Add 7-8 drops of orange essential oil to the scrub.
- Use the facial scrub to exfoliate your face and neck.
- After 3 minutes you can go ahead and rinse it off.
Another sugarcane skincare hack is including coffee grounds. The caffeine in coffee grounds has potent antioxidant properties. And the caffeine will help increase blood flow which will aid in the overall skin health. To make your own exfoliating scrub:
- Mix 2 tablespoon of coffee grounds and 1 tablespoon of sugarcane juice.
- Mix this vigorously and apply on your face and neck.
- Allow it to stay for about 20 minutes before washing off.
3. For Soft Skin
Sugarcane has amazing phytonutrients that can contribute to making your skin soft when used for some time. To include it in your routine to achieve soft skin, simply:
- Mix equal quantity of sugarcane juice and honey to form a paste.
- Apply it on your face and neck generously and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Use warm water to wash it off.
You can apply it twice a week as it can keep the skin hydrated and smooth. And yes, it is a great face mask for dry skin.
4. In An AHA Fruit Facial Pack:
Any fruit or vegetable with AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) is usually very good for anti-ageing skincare as they help in reducing signs of ageing and improving the skin texture and elasticity. To make an anti-ageing fruit facial using sugarcane, you can:
- Measure equal parts of lemon juice, sugarcane juice, apple juice, grape juice and coconut milk.
- Mix all of them very well using a hand mixer preferably.
- Apply it on the face and neck and let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes before washing it off.
This is a great facial pack for all skin types because you are getting lactic, glycolic, malic, citrus, and tartaric acid all in one pack to give your skin the best. Not to mention that when used regularly, this face pack can rejuvenate the skin and keep acne, pimples, spots and blemishes at bay. Here is a product on Amazon that comes very close to this pack – The glycolic, lactic and pyruvic fruit acid Professional Facial Exfoliator Kit and Mask for dark spots and acne scars treatment
5. For Skin Lightening:
In case you don’t know, skin lightening is one of the topmost benefits of sugarcane juice. Sugarcane contains glycolic acid which helps in removing dead skin cells from the skin and this gives a clean and glowing skin. You can be sure to get it to fade your marks and scars thereby retaining the glow of your skin. To do this, simply:
- Take a slice of papaya and mash it well.
- Add some sugarcane juice to it and mix both of them well.
- Apply it on the face and neck and leave it for 15-20 minutes before washing the face with warm water.
You can do this 2-3 times a week for best results. Papaya is known for its skin-lightening abilities and when mixed with sugarcane juice, it can naturally lighten the skin and make it appear fairer and brighter over time.
Have I mentioned that drinking the juice of the sugarcane can also help greatly in improving your skin’s overall look and health? No? Okay, sugarcane juice has lots and lots of health, beauty and skincare benefits when you consume it. Here are some of them:
- Sugarcane juice contains certain phytonutrients that can reverse the sun damage on our skin.
- The antioxidants in sugarcane juice help to fighting against infections and boost the immunity system of the body.
- It can also boost cell turnover, making it ideal for natural anti-ageing treatment.
- Sugarcane juice is alkaline naturally because of the high concentration of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and manganese, which helps prevent diseases like cancer, that cannot survive in an alkaline environment.
- It is good for the well-being of the digestive system due to its high potassium levels as it helps in keeping the digestive system in good shape, prevents stomach infections and is considered to be particularly useful in treating the problem of constipation.
- The juice helps prevent heart diseases and stroke as it helps decrease the levels of unhealthy cholesterol and triglycerides.
- As sugarcane juice reduces the bad cholesterol levels in the body and has natural sugars, it helps in reducing weight. It is high in soluble fibre which aids in shedding weight.
- Sugarcane juice is naturally sweet and full of natural sweeteners which have a low glycemic index, hence making it safe for diabetic patients.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) which are part of the natural constituents of sugarcane juice helps fight acne, reduce blemishes, prevent ageing and help in keeping the skin hydrated.
How To Make Sugarcane Juice At Home
To make sugarcane juice, all you need is the sugarcane itself and any kind of flavouring you choose, like ginger or lime or anything else (which is not sugar) that you feel is a better additive.
Method of making sugarcane juice
- Get as much sugarcane as you want (don’t worry, you can store the remaining in the fridge if you can’t finish it in one go).
- Wash the sugarcanes well and peel the hard and dark outer layer with a knife.
- Cut them into very small pieces that won’t ruin your blender’s teeth.
- Wash and peel the back of the ginger or anything else you want to add.
- Blend them till you get a smooth looking juice.
- Look for a sieve or napkin and place it over a container.
- Pour the contents into it and sieve out the chaff. The juice in the container is what you need.
- Refrigerate and drink it chilled, alone or with your favourite snack.
And you are on your way to enjoying the tasty and healthy drink that would treat your skin right. But come to think of it, if you can grow sugarcane in your garden would you take the chance? Sugarcane is grown by replanting part of a mature cane stalk and you can even get this right on Amazon. Here is a link to get 5 Organic Perennial Fresh Sugarcane Sticks that can sprout 2 nodes each. Visit this Gardening Site to learn about growing sugarcane which I must say is super simple.
Well, by now you should be convinced enough to cut down on chemical products you buy for certain treatments and stick to natural ones as they are always cheaper, safer and more effective.
So what do you think about using sugarcane for your face to achieve healthy, smooth skin? Is it something you can try? Or do you have a better idea to share with us? Let’s hear your thoughts in the comment box below.